Tuesday, June 13, 2006

<<<Bangkok, The land of smiles >>>

Hmm, maybe the only smiles we received were from the customer service officers at the lobby, those bellboys at the concierge or those pressing the lifts.(Well, my sis was right. They’re paid to smile on their duties anyway.) The rest of the citizens were too busy preparing to celebrate their King’s anniversary. All around, we were surrounded by a massive sea of yellow t-shirts, waving flags of congratulations to their King.

Since we were on a free and easy trip, the destinations would naturally need vehicles to replace our legs, which were alrdy worn out by the time we finished shopping
Our booked coach for the earlier 2 days was reserved by another travel grp and since they dominate our family in terms of numbers (means more commission for the tour guide), we could only resort to altv transport. We hailed the Tuk-Tuk motorcycles-look-alikes. The shouting price by the Tuk-Tuk drivers was a killer (Thai Baht) THB 350 initially! However, with the skillful bargaining of my aunt, mum and grandma, we negotiated a reasonable THB 20, with the condition that we would be driven to a GEM/ Jewellery Company to ‘sightsee’ and contribute to the local Thai Economy shd we fancy any item on display. The incentive for these Tuk-Tuk drivers wld be the highly-priced Gasoline top-up voucher. (For each tourist brought in, they receive a voucher of 5 Litres of Gasoline).

After some sign languages and basic English, my fam jumped onto one of the Tuk-Tuks. Along the journey, our faces were cloaked with thick smokes and polluted air. Wearing my sunshades, I could not imagine how my life would be if I were to be born a Tuk-Tuk driver in Thai this life. Picking up passengers in the burning sun, being stuck in heavily congested traffic everyday in my life, earning just enough to cover the gasoline and rental of the Tuk-Tuk, filling my stomach with simple breads and butter or having to sleep in the Tuk-Tuk when night falls. Not having a proper home, being single and lonely. But, maybe being single is much more affordable a lifestyle for many of those Bachelors here in Bangkok. How to feed a family when he cant even feed himself? My conversation in basic English with my kind Tuk-Tuk driver revealed that he had given up hope of finding a gf, let alone marry a wife to settle down. He intends to work in Bangkok (due to the higher pay), just to earn enough $ for his ageing parents back in the rural countryside of Thai. This is poverty up close in my face. I pity them but I was glad I was simply a tourist visiting Bangkok for a short vacation.

Had a shocking incident on our return trip to hotel. We understood the procedures for the discounted fares and agreed to visit the Jewellery Company once again. I guess the boss recognize my Uncle’s family and so, they hurriedly toured the gems galleries and climbed back for their Tuk-Tuk.All was peaceful until they reached the middle of a very busy main road, The TUk-TUk driver suddenly braked and shouted to them to alight immediately!! Puzzled at the bizarre outburst, my Uncle questioned his reaction and asked for an explanation. Shockingly, the Tuk-Tuk driver got real mad for not being able to claim his gasoline voucher.(There seemed to be a timeframe of 10mins tour in the company b4 the driver can make their gasoline claims) So, my Uncle tried negotiating and offered to pay him accrdgly if he send them safely back to hotel. Yet, the strange and furiously boiling driver waved his hands to indicate no further business and soon sped off, leaving them no choice but to navigate their way back to hotel. Now, we see the importance of a map and how handy map reading comes into play!

Baiyoke Syk Hotel is definitely worthy of its prestige in scenery and 5stars-service. Its dinner buffet at the revolving rooftop was oooshhhh!!! Not only was its in-house entertainment of international standards, but the variety of seafood (lobster salad, grilled squids and baked oysters in cheese, bbq cryfish),sushi, hams, western cuisines, oriental dishes, desserts, ..haha… I cant even rmb the details… Well, when your intestines are working hard, your mind rest.=) All I had in my memory was a filling night at the revolving rooftop, flowing with jazz music, ending with scoops of self-designed ice-creams and pastries to satisfy my sweet tooth! Eyeing out of the glass panels by my candle-lit tableside, I absorbed every glimpse of the romantic settings. If only I am sharing this moment with my special someone… it will have been picture-perfect!

I love the luxurious swimming pool. Even the posh handrails by the pool encourage one to pamper oneself. I fantasized of meeting my Louis Koo right here,right then! If not for the 37 deg weather forecast, an hr of suntan in bikini with him rubbing suntan lotion onto my bare back would have been a relaxing grill with the sips of the Hawaiian welcome drink! Cheers to the brilliance of youth! Cheers to relaxation!

Off I went to the spa sauna, the Jacuzzi reflexology on my butt and tummy felt good and trimming! Haha, maybe it acts as a mere psychological effect of minimizing guilt after days of buffets. Damage control to be further enforced. =>

Rejected the idea of a river cruise dinner when I heard that it’ll be yet ANOTHER BUFFET!!!!!! Mum persuaded us to join the rest of my extended family, but hey, why must we always follow the crowd?!!! When I requested to watch the THAI ‘GIRLS’ show, some of them headed back to hotel to rest too. If they have a choice, why cant I exert my personal preference of eating a non-buffet meal?!!!! It is only a river, nth fantastic, neither a 8th wonder of the World. Why should I pay a thousand bucks for a meal and limited scenery I knew I wouldn’t enjoy (YAR, FORCE MYSELF TO CHOKE ON THE BUFFET AGAIN??) With that amt of expenditure, I reasoned I could dine at an equivalently worthy restaurant to my liking, instd of following some elders by the nose. I respect my elders but, there is always a limit to being respectful. I hate people who exert their preferences on me! U have your preferences, I have MINE!!! Try to persuade me, ok, I’ll politely say Thank You. Force me to change my decisions, forget it, and just leave me alone!

Siam Paragon was so filled with ladies boutiques and branded goods! It is a heaven for my sis…haha, but I gotta admit I love the designs too! Esp the shoes… Effortlessly bought 2 pairs for my teaching attachment and for future classroom wear! The rest of the shopping districts were more catered for the locals, some sort of flea mrkts, where one cld land some cheap bargains and grab some souvenirs. MBK. Hmmm, pretty cheap, given our currency. But, well, still not as cheap as those items I bagged on my China trip. I regretted not picking a few bargaining lines from a Thai- expert within my China Trip grpmates.Sigh. Wasted manz! But nvm la, a foreign language is never easy to master in a short time.

I love traveling!!! Planning for more…

First Time Felt On|5:16 PM|

_____________

[[*The Refreshed*]]

Parcelled to my parents on:Seven-Eleven-Eighty-four(it's a store n more!)
Affectionately known as:WiLdDaZzLez,XiaoYong,Shortie,Ai Zai,XiaoStar,Yep MeiMei,Mee Siam(coz sounds MissSssSsYep),Sotong,Monkey,Leylong,Big-Po,Da-zhu,
Current Ht:Officially 151cm!(No more rounding off)
Wishlist/Personal collections: Canon or Olympus or Sony Digicam ,The Body Shop Series(love the fragrances),Swatches(classy,exotic timepieces), Lamps(of exotic designs),Travel,travel,travel!(Who can sponsor me on a Round the world tour?) FREEDOM .
Missions for this sem: Healthier lifestyle(regular meals + fitness routine + adequate rest),SOIREE2005(NUSHB Annual Concert),CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS:ORIENTAL SUITE, IMPRESSIONS 2005(Harmonica Orchestra annual concert/recitals),
more active volunteering, do sth for those i care abt b4 i graduate,do a kind deed for those who cannot return my favour,spend more quality time w fam/frens, be more observant/sensitive, maintain/pull up my C.A.P, indulge in my likes, pamper myself.

[[*My Adores*]]

Finger-lickin' gastronomies: Kenny Roger's muffins, Fish n Co. Chips,seafood platter, buffets of all sorts,cholatey chocs, ,desserts(Oh, my Cendol!) n patries(TOP FAV:peach Danish),Spicy stuff,Softshell crabs,Almost all fruits(except jackfruit n banana),
Local delights eg. Rojak,BakkutTeh,Popiah,Mee Siam,any (hygenic)mamak dishes,the list keeps evolving...
Savoury concoctions:Iced lemon tea,zappel,fruit juices,green tea,chrysanthemum,honey,tantalising spills!
Idols:My family,my frens,oh, AND I worship myself!wahaha~
My trendy colours:Sapphire blue,soft hues.

[[*My Detests*]]

Pests:Hypocrites,narrow-minded-and-small-hearted ppl,BIG Liars,underhanded cheaters,shallow/insincere creatures!
Solid/fluid wastes:Herbal tonics claiming to boost ht increase,Used to hate bittergourd,but fantastic culinary overode its bitterness somehow.
Obstacles:My hostel's loosened shower grip,AND i got anthr hopeless heater tiz sem!

[[*Music's Playing*]]

Artist:
Song:

Amidst my search//visit Iwebmusic for music

[[*Princess's Past Dreams*]]

|12/01/2002 - 01/01/2003|08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004|09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004|10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004|11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004|12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005|01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005|02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005|03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005|04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005|05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005|06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005|07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005|08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005|09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005|10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005|11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005|12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006|01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006|02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006|03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006|04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006|05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006|06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006|07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006|08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006|09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006|10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006|11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006|12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007|03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007|04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007|06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008

[[*The Conversations*]]

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

[[*Credits*]]

|Ev0nE's World Of Emptyness|
|Ev0nE's Fairyland|
|Ev0nE's Tutorials|
|Blogskins|
|Blogger|

Its The First Time I Ever Felt This Refreshed
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com